Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ticketmaster/Paciolan XSS: Thanks, but I'll buy at the stadium

Update: Just checked, and although I was never contacted by anyone from Ticketmaster/Paciolan, this vulnerability appears mitigated as of 11/6/08.

As if the extra Ticketmaster fees weren't enough, how about the prospect of your PII being stolen because they forgot to perform proper due diligence via a web application security assessment on recent acquisition Paciolan?
Consider the following Google search results. The server referenced therein hosts an "integrated ticketing system that enables venues to manage their own tickets."
Rutgers, University of Washington, Army, Air Force, Navy, Baylor, Notre Dame, even the American Museum of Natural History; all sell their tickets online through the Ticketmaster/Paciolan offering.
And they're all vulnerable as a result.
I've made multiple attempts to notify these folks, and have been ignored, so time for a scolding as my Gran used to say.
It's been awhile since I've brought video to bear and while I've nothing against the Arkansas Razorbacks, I had to utilize someone's instance of this service to prove my point, so away we go.
By the way, I just love the Verisign Secured badge (it's not going to help here).
Here's the full URL:
http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FB&linkID=arkansas&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=&RSRC=TM&RDAT=FB08SPLASH
The shopperContext (how ironic) variable is the parameter with issues. Mind you, this holds true for any university or venue using this service.

For your viewing pleasure, the video.

Yes, they take your credit card information, and conduct the ticket purchase transaction. If you've read my blog, you know by now the risks inherent to cross-site scripting vulnerabilities under circumstances like these. Verisign SSL certs are nice, but won't help the consumer if the web app is vulnerable.

Thanks, but I'll buy my tickets at the stadium. ;-)

Should Ticketmaster/Paciolan fix this issue, I'll update the post accordingly.

del.icio.us | digg | Submit to Slashdot

1 comment:

Rafal Los said...

Oh that hurts.

You know, I just put up an article on that's a framework for issue-resolution. It seems that your target here (TicketMaster, the hated beast by anyone who's gotten shafted paying $10 per ticket for a "convenience charge") hasn't gotten past step 1 (Admitting there is a problem)...

The ostrich approach to App Sec is only going to last for so long until they either (a) get money stolen or lose money or (b) get sued by someone who got their info stolen from those sites.

Yikes.

Moving blog to HolisticInfoSec.io

toolsmith and HolisticInfoSec have moved. I've decided to consolidate all content on one platform, namely an R markdown blogdown sit...