Wednesday, November 12, 2008

XSS Comedy III: Tax Cheats with Small Equipment

As part of an ongoing series, if I may I, the third in a series on the absurd, inane, and perhaps even funny. Lest you forget: the first and second in the series.
I don't know about you, but I enjoy occasionally watching offerings like the History Channel, AMC, or the Military Channel. I'm a 40ish, white male and as such I likely fit the general demographic as perceived by the marketing geniuses who buy the late evening advertising blocks on these channels.
That does NOT mean that I cheat on my taxes and thus need the services of a plethora of scam artists selling tax relief. Nor does it mean that I have any interest in "enhancement" opportunities like Enzyte or ExtenZe.
I just love people who choose to skip out on a primary obligation of citizenship that most of us choose to meet, and expect to magically turn $100,000 in tax debt into $999. Then there are the "businesses" who exploit these folks and willingly convince them of their "success" via the power of advertising, at which point my patience just snaps, as it did last night.
Thus, part one of this rant is a mighty bugger off to all the "tax relief" companies. To their patrons, may I suggest simply paying taxes like the rest of us?
Here's an XSS vulnerability in the Freedom Financial Network, "as seen on TV", designed to express precisely how I feel:

http://www.freedomfinancialnetwork.com/tax_debt.php?pid=ffn+go&key=%22%3E%3Cmarquee%3E%3Ch1%3ENOTHING_IS_FREE!%3C%2Fh1%3E%3C%2Fmarquee%3E

If and when they fix this issue, here's the video for posterity.

Part two of this rant will get you more bang for your buck, and I'm not talking enhancement.
Thanks to my utter disdain for the endlessly annoying advertising I went to the ExtenZe site to see what might be broken which immediately led me to discover an entire platform vulnerability in the ColdFusion application built by Internet Direct Response (IDR), the wankers who proudly bring you Maxoderm, Vivaxa, Vazomyne, Smoke Away, and Hydroxydrene; all such reputable products, and all repetitively wearing me out via DirectTV. At the ExtenZe site I spotted a variable that seemed worthy of building a Googledork from, and I soon discovered that it was a consistent variable in most of the sites pimping this crap; specifically, microppcsite. You can follow all the search results back to our friends at IDR.
A little experimentation and I quickly discovered that the similar microppcterm variable was vulnerable to entertaining XSS exploitation so I started with:

http://www.extenzeforlife.com/?microppcsite=googleµppcterm=%22%3E%3Cmarquee%3E%3Ch1%3EToo_short,_Morningwood?%3C%2Fh1%3E%3C%2Fmarquee%3E&gclid=CJ3T2NXH8JYCFQQCagod7xyBrA

Pick your poison, it works on most IDR gems.

http://www.enzyte-male-enhancement.com/google/?microppcsite=googleµppcterm=%22%3E%3Cmarquee%3E%3Ch1%3EBob_just_wants_your_money.%3C%2Fh1%3E%3C%2Fmarquee%3E

Again, a video, should IDR choose to fix their app.

And now, the grand prize for pathetic: The ExtenZe site is McAfee Secure.

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
You thought www stood for world wide web. Try wee willy wankers. *sigh*

del.icio.us | digg | Submit to Slashdot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHA!

Bob and his stiffy can go to hell.

Rafal Los said...

@Russ - 1 word: PRICELESS.

Moving blog to HolisticInfoSec.io

toolsmith and HolisticInfoSec have moved. I've decided to consolidate all content on one platform, namely an R markdown blogdown sit...